John Thomas Grinder, Jr. is an American author, linguist, speaker, trainer, and a management consultant who is the co-founder of Neuro-Linguistic Programming or NLP. He is also a co-founder of New Code NLP, a form of patterning that created a shift in NLP towards an environmental approach.
Dr. Grinder was born in 1940 and graduated from the University of San Francisco with a ‘Bachelor’s Degree in Psychology in the early 1960s. After serving in the Army after he graduates, he worked for a United States Intelligence Agency. He then resumed his education at the University of California, San Diego and earned his Ph.D. in linguistics in 1971.
His capacity to code and model the performance of intellects was a significant influence on the advancement of Classic Code NLP. Dr. ‘Grinder’s academic expertise reinforces the primary coding of NLP and his desire to persistently progress in the field.
Dr. Grinder is one of the utmost thinkers of the lifetime. He has authored 14 books on intricate subjects extending from transformational grammar, family therapy and his creation of Neuro-Linguistic Programming. Specifically, he is a co-author of various books on NLP and its applications, including:
- The Structure of Magic I: A Book About Language and Therapy (1975),
- The Structure of Magic II: A Book About Communication and Change (1975),
- The Patterns of Hypnotic Techniques of Milton H. Erickson, M.D. Volume I (1976),
- Patterns of the Hypnotic Techniques of Milton H. Erickson, M.D. Volume II (1977),
- Frogs into Princes: Neuro-Linguistic Programming (1979),
- Tranceformations: Neuro-Linguistic Programming and the Structure of Hypnosis (1981),
- Reframing: Neuro-linguistic programming and the transformation of meaning (1983),
- Turtles All the Way Down: Prerequisites to Personal Genius (1987); and
- Precision (1993).
This ‘genius’ works are documented in over 1000 educational books, which ranges from the specialist NLP matters, sales, negotiation, negotiation, parenting, management, psychology, and accelerated learning.
In addition to his aptitude to recognize complex behavior and language patterns, Dr. Grinder is acknowledged for his influence as a trainer and presenter. Throughout his life, he has devoted his work towards his journey to discover and present human patterns of distinction, modeled from intellects in various fields.